Tuesday, October 14, 2008

little one

Ernest's stomach has been punky for the last day. He's happy to do almost anything include eat, but clearly that is not agreeing with him. The vet examined him and said it was either something he tangled with (roast of beef?) or something that is going around the neighborhood -- a virus of sorts. He's seen lots of dogs with the same sort of symptoms.

Nothing is harder than denying your dog his dinner and doling out meager rations of white rice and chicken breast every four hours in hopes it will stay down.

Anytime he gets sick, I worry. I did not give birth to him, but I still feel like I have known him since his early weeks of life. To me, he is still perfect -- with very few things that could possibly go wrong with him at his young age. To see him feeling under the weather kills me. To have him look at me accusingly as I try to eat my dinner is even worse than death.

Its been almost 90 minutes since his 1/2 cup of rice and .5 oz of chicken breast. Here's to hoping it will stay down for the next 270 minutes. If not, its going to be a long night of Ernest, myself and the couch.

nm

3 comments:

Mony said...

funny what different breeds can tolerate
chicken would make Moses erp in a minute
I had another dog back in the day that had the same problem with poultry!

Moses has some creepy round fungal infection on him, as does JMB. They tussle in the yard you see. To the vet, to the vet we go...

we did go through a month of giving Moses an antacid twice a day

Owl Chick said...

Poor Ernest. :( I hope he's feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Did he get my Twitter last night??? We are all concerned!!! Esp. the Girls and Tuck and of course Spud who just exudes concern!