Monday, August 13, 2007

an amazing abundance

Still life with fig, August 2007.

The two houses on either side of us have huge green fig trees. I suppose at one time we may have had one. I just don't know. I must remember to ask Marge, our next door neighbor if they planted their tree or it was there when they built the house in the early 60s.

The trees are loaded this year and we are enjoying their fruits. On Friday I macerated the figs with some cognac and a bit of sugar and served them on top of a cake that Kimberly McK baked for Shauna's visit.

I am in love with this cake (i'm sorry I didn't take a picture of it, it was pretty). Today, we decided to try something new...

We're making fig bars.

Right now the figs are cooking away, tomorrow, in the heat (ugh), I'll make them base and then spread the lusty dark fig concoction of top and bake them. The following day we'll eat them plain or with a foil of greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream.

My friend B and I are fiends for fruit foraging and canning. She has devised a way to freeze figs, I am not sure that I want to go that far, but maybe this year we can work on making fig jam.

A fig is a terrible thing to waste...

7 comments:

Kerrio said...

*wimper*

Unknown said...

Not fair to make me read about some culinary delights first thing in the morning. Not fair 'tall.

Anonymous said...

Did you save any for me?

I *heart* fresh green figs. The apartment I rented in Croatia last year had one in the courtyard. I ate one every time I walked by.

Nazila Merati said...

Dear All,

There will be a fig picking partay on Friday.

Please bring garden hats and a dainty bucket.

smooches,

Z - I'll make some jam and send you some, K, I'll bring you some.


nm

cookiecrumb said...

I'll trade you pears for figs... Oh, but you're so far away.

Kerrio said...

*double whimper*

Is this revenge for the greengage thing?


You can have ALL my greengages, just bring me one fresh fig.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, drunken figs sound like a lovely topping for that cake (which, by the way, I'm glad you like).

And oh, so sorry I missed the partay! How did the fig bars turn out? My father made a mean fig preserves with lemon... until they sold the house with the fig tree.