Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Winter Solstice

'With all my pains, there is still the hope of recovery
Like the eve of Yalda, there will finally be an end' (Sa'adi)
It is the solstice and it is honestly one of my favorite days of the year, because the from the depths of these four o clock dusks, it will soon be getting light again. I'm one of those people who gets depressed on the Summer Solstice because the days are shorter. Things will get better as the winter progresses right?

We're not big celebrators of the Shab-e Yalda, a tradition Iranian holiday marking the longest night, I think because its too close to Christmas. My parents went to a party a few days ago and if I was, you bet your sweet bippy I would be making a hearty stew and sit around with the family eating ajiil (Persian Trail mix), pomegranates and reciting Hafez's poetry. As it is, I had split pea soup for lunch and will probably sample some kind of ajiil my my mom brought up from San Diego, but I'll be celebrating the solstice by decorating a christmas tree with A, R, W &W and hopefully catching a bit more spirit. Gosh, I have too as time is running out!
I find it interesting that rituals in Iran are based on seasons and the passing of one to another. I can't wait until the Vernal Equinox and Noruz. I find the rituals of cleansing of the house, the jumping over the candle and the idea of another chance to start again somewhat refreshing.
Anyways, for those of you freezing your butts of in the midwest and north east, I wish you a happy winter that will get warmer and may the longer days bring you a chance to experience a bit of light.
still horser than stevie nicks after a pack of kools
nm

No comments: