Sunday, October 23, 2005

Like losing a friend

We think we know why you fly - Admiral's Club Logo at SEA.

The American Airlines Admiral's Club in Seattle closes it doors on October 31st. Ironically, I fly out on the Dulles redeye that night. Mid SeptemberAmerican Airlines notified Seattle-based members of the close through mail. The letter explained the closure was due to increasing operating costs and exorbitant rent by the Port of Seattle. I am distressed by the closing for a number of reasons -1. What will happen to all the folks to worked at the club; 2. Could this be the end of mainline service from Seattle; and 3. Why is the port making it so difficult for airlines to do business at SeaTAC. I am also sad because those who fly American Airlines will have no longer have an advocate in Seattle. My relationship with the gate agents is good as well as the the ticketing folks, but honestly, I don't really know them. My interactions with them are minimal thanks to ticketless travel and expedited boarding. I see the AA club crew all the time when I fly on Alaska and American. They call me if my flight is late or I'm going to misconnect and are good at protecting us on later flights. They can do miracles on clearing upgrades, most importantly, they are just good souled and hearted professionals.

I will miss them all.

Coincidentally, The Admiral's Club has just started to sell Lifetime Memberships. Yeah Right.

No comments: