Thursday, October 06, 2005

Things that I can believe

Arbutus unedo - strawberry tree

I'm taking a class this quarter, a seminar actually. I'm the perpetual student. I have a degree, several in fact. I yearn for more. I secretly wish I could go back and get a Ph D. but I leave that to one per family at one time and right now the coveted spot is filled. So, I keep my mind going in directions it wouldn't necessarily go at work by finishing up a professional certificate that keeps me out of the house at least one night a week.

Is it fun? Most of the time. Do I feel old? God yes. I'm sitting around this seminar room full of grad students and thinking to myself. Geez, I am too old for this. I'm ready to scream "Hey, life sucks, sometimes you have to do what you are told at work and sometimes it is better to just work the system from the inside". I just want some of these newly minted grad students to realize that life isn't all about sustainable living and mass transit. It is about mortgages, dealing with ornery folks at work, finding a pair of tights in the morning without runs and figuring out for the 19th time this month "WHAT WE ARE HAVING FOR DINNER". I left seminar just feeling cranky. I loved the topic - tenement reform and rational planning. Being a scientist by training, rational planning sounds so logical to me, doing planning for a living (in one way) shows no sign of rational behavior. Tenement reform and housing is fascinating as well, but maybe not before dinner.

However, I will keep my nose to the grindstone, keep my comments to myself and learn something new for the next ten weeks.

In the spirit of my need to just tell you something --

I just took my watch in to get a new battery. Dearest ones, this is a very lovely watch, which I love and covet and they offered me a service loaner! A service loaner? My car dealership doesn't give me squat when I take my car in. However, as lovely this loaner is, the watch band stinks of the perfume du jour of said house of couture. Yech. Gave me a headache to the point of taking the watch off during working hours. Its amazing how often you put your watch next to your face....I'll be glad to get my watch back in 10 working days.

We were the recipient of a lovely gallon bag of freshly roasted New Mexico/Arizona green chile. I came home to a yummy turkey green chile stew adapted from the Coyote Cafe cookbook. I look forward to making more yummy green chile stew dishes and revisiting an old favorite cookbook.

Well, time to log off and consider hitting the pillows..

No comments: