Monday, October 24, 2005

Not to scale

Ugh. Thus goest the neighborhoods. Thanks to our mayor, basically any variance is granted to developers no matter what the community feels. We're densifying our neighborhoods with the addition of faux craftsman houses with three car drive in garages and traditional homes wired for CAT-5. Add the requisite drought tolerant parking strip (removing any mature trees that existed to lessen the burden on homeowners, poor things) and the newly constructed just 6' fence around the yard and we've really added a neighborly feel to the 'hood.

I fear for several houses on my block. I do indeed.

I'm okay with densification as long as it is to scale, appropriate in style and adds to the street scape, not detracts from it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just wish the Maglev project would condemn my house but it doesn't look likely on my end.

Nazila Merati said...

These are perfectly good houses (either 20's craftsmen or post war houses) and are on the market for 450K plus. They just cram two crap skinny 3 story houses on one lot and charge 500-650K each, or one monster for 750K.

The problem with moving is that at least in Seattle, you'll end up paying more for less.

nm