Thursday, October 27, 2005

step by step, bulb by bulb

Greenwich, England February 2004

On Monday afternoon I planted 70 bulbs. Nice huh? Mostly small cupped narcissus, mostly naturalizing, mostly white. I like white narcissus because they really pop out in the back garden. 70 bulbs seems like a lot, but dearest ones, I have like another 800 to go. I am not kidding. We have a bulb fixation that puts us on the same level as Martha or some small parks and rec department. Our goal is to get them in the ground before January 1st and it happens. No worries, they all come up in the spring and they look great. However, we don't plant them in one fell swoop, we do things slowly, when we can steal a moment or three. I ripped out a bunch of raspberries and moved some stuff this fall and planted a few rare rhodies that I got from the Rhodendron Species Foundation. I will underplant with narcissus, a few galanthus and muscari. I am not big on tulips, but I may put in a few species tulips in the same area. I figure 300 bulbs can go into that bed. No bulbs are in there now, but it still takes planning.

The same concept applies to my increasingly frustrating work. It is easier for me to apply in the garden than at work. I need to think of work as a garden and soon I'll chip away at the bags of work that need to get done in the same manner.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How the hell do you have the patience to plant 10 bulbs let alone 870? I can't even imagine it. I also kill plants so go figure....I can't wait to see them when they come up though!

Nazila Merati said...

Its is easy, throw them up and plant them where they land. Trust me, it is quite stunning in the spring and if you plant in the lawn, you don't have to mow for a long time.

:)

Unknown said...

Now that's the rub then :)