Saturday, October 01, 2005

Feels like Fall

Long Island Cheese Pumpkins et al. at the Tonnemaker's stand at U. District Market
Cool, grey with hints of blue this morning. Hit the gym bright and early and went to the U District farmer's market and TJ's with our friend B. Nice to be back into the normal routine for at least eight days. The squash are lovely as are the roasting peppers. It is nice to see Booth Family Orchards back this year with some very lovely apples. I picked up my five for my daily baked apple and two for a fennel and apple salad.

Choice had bulbs, only picked up some Emily MacKenzies as I figured we'd see what we could find at the Arboreteum Sale.

Sale was great, we spent lots of money, got lots of very cool bulbs. On the way home , I realized that I had a whole new bed to plant as I just dug out all the old raspberries that were in a very strange part of the garden. Sweet. This is the part of the garden I see from my study, so I'm very stoked. Time to get the bulb names written down in the book and the decide where the heck we're going to plant them!

Other than that, just a normal, grey Seattle Fall Saturday, without the joy of football hoards clogging the streets around the University. :)

Baked Apple Recipe:

Core as many apples as you want
Stuff center with muscavado sugar (I'm thinking 1/2 t)
Add a pinch of pumpkin pie spice (or a combo of nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice)
Stuff the rest of the core with muesli or granola (we're featuring apple granola from TJ's)

Bake in a 350 oven until soft. Try and keep those apples from collapsing, but they taste great anyways.

Cool and serve with Fage Total Greek Yoghurt.

Yum.

nm

No comments: