Thursday, October 13, 2005

ammoniacal? Is that a word?

Kiwi love - tenacious as hell.

Ugh, I just paid $3.99 for a typically delightful Bingham Hill Poudre Puff cheese from one of our more bespoke grocery stores. I love this cheese. When just right and ripe, it is like butter or like a nice aged goat's cheese - creamy and a bit sharp. This one is overripe to the point of tasting like ammonia. It is a disappointment and make me realize that grocery stores are not places that offer the d' affineur de fromage - not even places like Dean and Deluca do a good job with these more delicate cheeses. Trust me, I've experimented. I guess I could try Whole Foods again, but honestly, the Roosevelt store scares me. It is crowded no matter when I try and shop, so I leave it to the others.

The grocery store chain in question is having an artisanal cheese festival this month, I should go down when the producers are around and ask if they check how things are aged, displayed and stored. That should be pretty standard, no?

I guess I'm just going to have to rely on mature cheddars and home grown goat cheeses until I make my transatlantic cheese runs in a month or so. ; )

An aside:

I want these. So much, I think I'm just going out tonight to get them.

Since I am missing Saturday market after market, I decided to go to Lake City today. Good market, good stir fry and tamales, but oy, the parking and driving to get there, even from my place of employ. Now, I remember why I don't go here often if I'm in a hurry. However, I did manage to pick up some more kiwis for my conserve.


nm

1 comment:

jk said...

oops, i posted below...but we will take you to wegmans to investigate the wonderful cheese department. That said, i've probably doomed them to being sold out of everything rare.