Saturday, October 08, 2005

Sometimes its a good thing to pack your own

I'm flying today, so I am keeping myself sane by watching a few episodes of upstairs/downstairs, listening to some ambient music on the Ipod, taking a nap to the Rushmore soundtrack, read for my seminar, and eat something to pass the time away.

More often than not, I'm flying in domestic First because I buy tickets that are confirmed upgradeable or my upgrades clear. This means a bigger seat and food (sometimes). Food is not necessarily that great, its just something to do to pass the time. One one flight that I take, I have pretty much rejected the breakfast offering and now bring my own baked apple or yoghurt parfait to pass the 2 hours and 19 minutes to San Diego.

Today I'm flying 5 hours. I will have visited my favorite new addition to the airport, Cafe Dilletante and had a nice extra dark mocha. I will have made a sandwich from home and then brought a bottle of water and an apple and a bit of cheese. That should do me until New York.

My flight back has been upgraded. I will probably diss the food or ask for the set up (just the nuts, salad and roll) in hopes that we'll go somewhere decent when I get home. I'm thinking Tulios. ;)

However, life these days is uncertain. The weather in NY does not look good. I'll be packing a luna bar, some nuts and some cheese in case I'm stuck in the airport later. The terminal I land at is not known for delicatable eats.

One colleague who travels a lot to Alaska says that domestic flying these days is a lot like flying to the Aleutians -- bring a good book (two in fact), something to eat and realize that it may take more than one day to get to your destination. He is a wise man.

An aside -- I'm thinking that this may work for some, but not for me.

Airtroductions - meeting people on the plane . Frankly, I'll sit by you, I'll make polite conversation during the meal, but I don't want to talk, I don't want to hear your life story and I don't need to be part of your pyramid selling scheme.

However, if you have tried it, do tell.


nm

No comments: